My version is pretty basic but has all the flavor. It has just the right amount of sweetness without being overwhelming and it's a meal you can feel good about giving to your whole family.
3 1/2 TB hoisin sauce
1 TB water
2 TB low-sodium soy sauce
1/2 TB rice vinegar
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp cornstarch
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
1/2 medium onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 lb steak (flank or sirloin)
2 TB cornstarch
2 TB soy sauce
1. Cut meat into very thin slices against the grain.
2. Toss with cornstarch and soy sauce and marinade for 20 minutes.
3. While meat is marinading, mix sauce ingredients and cut vegetables into thin slices. Set aside.
4. Add oil to wok and heat over high heat.
5. When oil is hot, drain meat and add to wok.
6. Cook meat, stirring almost continuously until no longer pink.
7. Remove meat and drain on paper towel.
8. Wipe wok with paper towel to clean.
9. Add 1 tsp oil to wok and heat over high heat.
10. Cook garlic in oil for a few seconds. Be careful not to burn the garlic or it will turn bitter.
11. Add sliced vegetables and cook for a minute or two or until crisp but tender.
12. Move vegetables to the sides of the wok and pour sauce in the middle.
13. Bring sauce to boil, stirring to thicken.
14. Once sauce is thick, add meat and stir everything together.
Serve over rice.