Looking for a quick and easy side dish with zucchini as the main ingredient? This one is stuffed with yummy goodness and is sure to please everyone. It also adds a little color to your plate while being super nutritious with all those veggies. Did you know that 1 cup of zucchini has almost as much potassium as 1 banana? They are also very low in calories so you can eat up a bunch without feeling guilty. Including red peppers in this dish also adds so many vitamins and health perks. They are naturally fat free and are full of antioxidants. And you can help keep that heart of yours healthy by eating onions. I love them and they add so much flavor to anything!
This side dish is very versatile so feel free to add your favorite veggies or whatever you have on hand!
Zucchini Veggie Skillet
1/4 onion sliced
1/2 red pepper sliced into matchsticks
2 - 3 zucchini cut into matchsticks
1 TB butter or oil
salt and pepper to taste
1. Cut the zucchini.
2. Sprinkle a little bit of salt all over the pieces and set them in a colander to drain for about a half hour.
3. In the meantime, slice up the onions and red peppers.
4. Cook the onion and red pepper over high heat in the butter or oil until heated and starting to soften.
5. Add the zucchini and stir often until it starts to soften and brown slightly, about 10 minutes.
6. Season with salt and pepper and serve!
I prefer a little bit of a crunch to the zucchini in this dish but if you'd like it a little softer, cook it for another 5 to 10 minutes over medium heat.