- 1 1/2 lbs chopped spinach
- 3 TB butter
- 2 1/2 TB flour
- 2 1/2 c milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 pepper
- dash nutmeg
- 1/4 TB butter
- 1/4 c coarse breadcrumbs (such as Panko)
1. Preheat oven to 450.
2. Thaw and drain spinach. Set aside.
3. Melt butter in saucepan.
4. Add flour and stir over medium-low heat until it turns a light gold color and smells a tad nutty.
5. Slowly add milk, a little at a time. Boil once it's all incorporated.
6. Add spinach and seasonings and mix well.
7. Coat a 1 quart casserole dish with cooking spray and pour in spinach mixture.
8. Melt 1/4 TB butter and breadcrumbs together in microwave until butter is melted. Mix well and sprinkle over spinach.
9. Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until bubbly and breadcrumbs are golden brown.
I use 2% milk when I make this recipe. If you'd like a richer dish, you can use half and half to get a creamier result.