Thursday, December 15, 2011
Grown-Up Grilled Cheese: Red Pepper, Onion and Spinach with Spicy Garlic Mayo
The latest in my grilled cheese series is a trio of veggies that are layered with tangy cheese and a spicy mayo. This one was so gooey and good that it seemed almost sinful! I cooked the onion and red pepper for awhile to caramelize them and bring out their natural sugars, but you can just cook them until they're soft.
This sandwich can also be loaded up with a medley of other veggies, too. Give it a try with some mushrooms cooked with the onion and peppers or add a few ribbons of zucchini. Just make sure to cook the vegetables enough to bring out their maximum flavors.
Red Pepper, Onion and Spinach Grilled Cheese with Spicy Garlic Mayo
1 TB mayo
dash garlic powder
1/8 tsp chili powder
2 slices Swiss or Mozzarella cheese
A few Spinach leaves
About 1 TB Onion, thinly sliced
About 1/4 Red Pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp Olive Oil
2 slices wheat bread
1. Mix mayo ingredients together and set aside.
2. Cook onion and red pepper in oil, over medium-low heat, until soft and light golden in color.
3. Spread thin layer of mayo on bread slices and place other ingredients over mayo.
4. Top with second slice of bread.
5. Spray non-stick pan with a little cooking spray and cook sandwich until golden brown and cheese is melted.