I love roasted vegetables but I don't always have the opportunity, fancy equipment for grilling, or even the right food to create the perfect side dish for what I'm craving. If that's the case though, I improvise by using modified versions of what I do have.
I had an idea to make a roasted corn salad but went a completely different route than the usual grilled corn on the cob method; I roasted it in the oven. And it wasn't even and ear of corn...it was a can. Yep, I roasted a can of corn. Well, actually it was broiled but I got the same effect. I'm glad I tried something different because I got a good, brown color with a deep, rich flavor. You may be wondering why I would ever use a can of corn this way. Well, it's simple really...I didn't have any ears of corn. Of course I would have preferred to have those little kernels on the grill, but I improvised using what I already have. This was an easy, quick side dish that might make it's way to the next party!
Roasted Corn and Pepper Salad
2 cans or 3 cups of corn kernels
1 roasted red, orange or yellow pepper (click here to see how to roast a pepper)
1/4 c sliced onion
2 TB oil
2 TB apple cider vinegar
1 tsp lime juice
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
quick squeeze of honey (about 1/4 tsp)
2 pieces string cheese (optional)
1. Mix all dressing ingredients, toss with onion in a medium-sized bowl and set aside.
2. Roast pepper (or you can use a jar of roasted peppers in water).
3. Open can of corn and drain well.
4. Spread corn on foil-lined baking sheet and broil on high for about 10 minutes or until starting to brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
5. Slice pepper into thin strips.
6. If using, cut cheese in half length-wise then into 1/4" pieces.
7. Mix all ingredients together.
Served best at room temperature.