Lasagna in the crock pot? You better believe it!
I was a little leery at first, but as I was assembling everything, my confidence grew. I had no idea how it was going to turn out because this idea was completely foreign to me for a long time, but since I started doing the crock pot series, I've had to try out new ideas. And it's all been for the better!
This lasagna in particular uses regular noodles, but they aren't cooked first. Yes, there are the no boil ones that you can use in a regular lasagna, but the texture is never the same. They have an almost leathery feel to them and well, that's not what I'm looking for in a lasagna. The noodles in the crock pot recipe are really tender and cooked perfectly.
I was also worried that everything would fall apart when I took it out, but it held together nicely and looked, well, like a lasagna! That's always a plus! Oh, and it makes a ton. But, come on...who doesn't like leftover lasagna?
(You could probably use a jar of spaghetti sauce in this quick-style lasagna but I'm not sure if the water content would be enough to cook the noodles. If you give it a try, let me know how it turns out!)
Leave a comment below to let me know what you think of this recipe!
Crock Pot Meatless Lasagna
• 15 or so uncooked lasagna noodles
• 2 - 3 c shredded mozzarella
• Cheese Mixture (below)
• Sauce Mixture (below)
• 1 egg, beaten
• 3 c part-skim ricotta cheese
• 1/2 c shredded mozzarella
• pinch of salt
• 2 TB parmesan cheese
• 2 15 oz cans diced tomatoes
• 1 28 can crushed tomatoes
• 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
• 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 TB oregano
• 1 TB basil
• 1 TB parsley
• 1 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp pepper
• 1/2 TB sugar (optional)
1. Mix cheese mixture ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.
2. Mix sauce ingredients together in another bowl and set aside.
3. Grease crock pot with non-stick spray and pour about 1 1/4 c sauce on the bottom.
5. Spread 1/3 of the cheese mixture over the noodles then pour about 1 1/2 c sauce on top.
6. Sprinkle 1 c mozzarella over the sauce.
7. Put another layer of noodles, then cheese mixture, then 1 1/2 c sauce, then mozzarella.
8. Add another third layer noodles, then cheese mixture, then 1 1/2 c sauce, then mozzarella.
9. Top with remaining noodles then remaining sauce.
10. Cover and cook for 4-6 hours on low.
11. When done, turn off heat and sprinkle a little extra mozzarella on top if desired. Let stand for about 15 - 20 minutes to firm up.