I had everything I needed so why not make a breakfast pizza! I already knew it was going to be full of veggies because, as you've probably figured out by now, I always have zucchini in my fridge. It's my favorite vegetable and goes well with pretty much everything. I also still have a bunch of red peppers from the sale at the grocery store so I threw one on a stove burner to make a quickie roasted red pepper. I rummaged through the fridge to get a few more ingredients and off I went to prepare a yummy and nutritious breakfast.
- 1 box pizza dough or refrigerated pizza crust
- 5 eggs
- 1/4 c milk
- 1/2 medium zucchini, sliced into very thin rounds
- 1 red pepper (preferably roasted)
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1/4small onion, diced
- 3 Tb fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 c shredded reduced fat cheddar
- 1/3 c shredded mozzarella
- 1 green onion, sliced (green part only)
Preheat oven according to pizza dough/crust directions and prepare dough/crust as directed.
1. Put whole red pepper directly on stove burner over low heat turning occasionally when the area on burner starts to blacken.
2. Cook bacon until crisp. Drain and set aside.
3. Saute onions in about 1 tsp butter until soft. Remove from pan and set aside.
4. In same pan as onions, quick saute zucchini to soften slightly and set aside.
5. In small bowl, mix ricotta with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Spread on bottom of pizza crust.
6. Beat eggs with milk and scramble in about 1 TB butter. Season if desired with salt and pepper. Be careful not to overcook because they will cook slightly in the oven. Spread evenly over ricotta on crust.
7. Sprinkle onions and on top of eggs.
8. When red pepper is black on all sides, place in a bowl (one large enough to hold the whole pepper) and cover with plastic wrap. Let steam in the bowl for 5 to 10 minutes and then, using a cloth, rub off the blackened skin. Slice half of the pepper and spread on top of the pizza.
9. Put zucchini rounds on top of peppers.
10. Sprinkle bacon on top of zucchini.
11. Spread both cheeses evenly over the whole pizza and then garnish with the green onions.
Bake according to dough/crust directions until cheese is melted and starting to brown, about 15 to 20 minutes.