After taking inventory of the supplies in the fridge, I wound up with an awesome side that we all loved. There was just a hint of flavor, but if you want more 'pow', you can double all the spices (except the initial salt) and it will really stand out. I preferred mine on the subtle side, but my husband likes it spicier.
Warm Chick Pea, Pea Pod, and Tomato Salad
• 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
• 1 tsp honey
• 1/4 tsp chili powder
• 1/8 tsp pepper
• 1/8 tsp smoked paprika
• 1/2 tsp kosher salt
• 1 tbsp coconut oil
• 1/4 c sliced onion
• 2 c pea pods
• 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
• 1 clove garlic, smashed
• 1 1/2 c various colored cherry tomatoes, halved
1. Mix vinegar, honey and seasonings together. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet and add onion. Cook over med-low heat for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add pea pods and chickpeas. Increase heat to med-high. Cook for about 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently, until pea pods are tender crisp. (If onions start to burn, turn down heat.)
4. Stir in garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
5. Add tomatoes and vinegar mixture. Continue cooking until tomatoes are hot and just starting to break down, about 2-3 minutes.
6. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
Per serving: Calories 170.5 | Total Fat 4.7g | Saturated Fat 2g | Monounsaturated Fat .2g | Sodium 582mg | Potassium 207mg | Total Carbohydrate 30.9g | Dietary Fiber 10.1g | Sugars 5.4g | Protein 8.7g | Vitamin A 22% | Vitamin C 48.8% | Calcium 5.7% | Iron 32.7%