I had some cherries in the freezer so I thought it would be a good opportunity to use them up with the chicken I had thawed. It was super easy, and the sauce has a natural sweetness that paired wonderfully with the chicken!
Chicken Breasts with Quick Wine Cherry Pan Sauce
• 2 chicken breasts
• 1/2 tbsp oil (coconut, olive, grapeseed)
• 1 TB butter
• 1 1/2 tbsp minced onion
• pinch red pepper flakes
• 1/2 c red wine
• 1/4 c chicken broth
• 1 sprig of rosemary
• 1 c halved sweet cherries, pitted (fresh or frozen)
• 1 tsp lemon juice
1. Pound chicken into 1/2" thickness. Heat oil in medium sized non-stick skillet over med-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper then add to pan. Cook for about 3-4 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Remove from heat and loosely cover with foil to keep warm.
2. In same pan, melt 1 TB butter. Add minced onion and saute over medium heat for about 2-3 minutes until soft. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for 30 seconds.
4. Add wine, chicken broth, and rosemary. Bring to a boil and let boil for about 2 minutes or until starting to reduce. Add cherries and continue to boil for about 2 more minutes or until reduced to a syrup. Turn off heat, remove rosemary, stir in lemon juice, and serve over chicken.