According to my 5-year old, this is the best dinner he's ever had. Now, he does seem to say that a lot, but this time he said that it was not only better than pepperoni pizza or chicken noodle soup, but it was also better Panda Express Orange Chicken. It's a special treat type of thing, but he loves that damn orange chicken....
This diner gets an A+ from all of us. I'm so happy when I'm able to create something that everyone likes and that can actually make people smile. My husband - who is even pickier than the boy - loved it! Now that is a big deal because he just honestly couldn't care less about food. I just don't understand that but to each their own I guess.
This was a great dinner and you can serve it with rice, or noodles, or even rice noodles. I served it up with some rice noodles that I accidentally overcooked, but we all really like those 'almost mushy' noodles anyways. The little guy couldn't stop shoveling them into his mouth! Bite of chicken, forkful of noodles, peapod, forkful of noodles, carrot, chicken, forkful of noodles... He sure liked those noodles. I think I'll have to whip up some more dinners with them.
Chicken with Peapods and Carrots
• 3 chicken breasts
• 2 lg or 3 sm carrots, sliced on the bias (1 1/2 c)
• 2 c sugar snap peapods
• 1 TB canola oil
• 1 TB soy sauce
• 3/4 c chicken broth
• 2 tsp oyster sauce
• 2 cloves garlic, mashed
• 1/4 tsp ground ginger
• 1 tsp brown sugar
• 3 tsp cornstarch
1. Mix sauce ingredients together and set aside.
2. Pound chicken in a zip-top bag with about 2 tsp water to about 1/2" thick. Slice into pieces about 1"x2". Season with salt and pepper.
3. Heat half the oil (1/2 TB) in large wok over high heat. Add chicken and cook for about 3 minutes or until just cooked through. Remove and set aside.
4. Reduce heat to med-high. Add remaining oil and carrots. Stir frequently for about 5 minutes or until almost tender crisp. Increase heat to high and add peapods and chicken. Continue cooking just until peapods are tender crisp and any liquid has evaporated, about 3 more minutes.
5. Add sauce. Bring to a boil and cook until sauce is bubbly and thickened.
6. Serve over noodles or rice or rice noodles.