I had the biggest craving for polenta the other day. I'm not sure why, but a creamy polenta just sounded so good. We grilled up some steaks so I had my chance! Polenta goes really well with meat and my hubby suggested adding some cheddar cheese to it for a little variation. Why the heck not, right?
The cheese was very subtle in flavor but it was enough to hit you a little right at the end of each bite. It was a nice twist on the regular creamed version I've made, too. It comes together really fast and is a great alternative to your standard starchy side dishes.
I wanted to add some pepper to this one for a pepper/cheese combo but my little guy was being stubborn. He wanted nothing to do with adding pepper so I decided to leave it out instead of having a ridiculous food argument.
Ya gotta pick your battles, right?
I'm already thinking about other variations and add-ins. Possibly red pepper? What do you think? I'd love some suggestions in the comments!
Creamy Cheddar Polenta
• 3 c water
• 2 c milk
• 2 tsp salt
• 1 1/2 c cornmeal
• 3 TB butter
• 1 c shredded sharp cheddar
1. Bring water, milk and salt to a boil.
2. Whisk in cornmeal and continue stirring for about one minute.
3. Turn heat down to med-low, and let cook for about five minutes, stirring often. Turn heat to low and cook until no longer gritty. Stir in butter.
4. Turn off heat and let sit for a couple minutes. Then stir in cheese and serve.