Anyways, that thought sparked another similar pita idea. I did a quick veggie stir-fry with some teriyaki sauce and then I was in pita melt heaven.
I have a ton of fresh veggies in my fridge right now and this was a nice way to use some of them. The great thing about a meal like this is that you can use whatever you have. I went with a few thin slices of zucchini, about 1/4 of a red pepper sliced, a few pieces of broccoli, some sliced onion, and a few asparagus spears.
What veggies would you use?
Stir-Fry Veggie Pita Melt
• 1 pita
• 1 TB grapeseed oil
• About 1 - 1 1/2 c assorted veggies: zucchini rounds, sliced onion, green or red pepper strips, asparagus spears, broccoli, cauliflower, julienned or sliced carrots, etc.
• 1 1/2 tsp teriyaki sauce
• salt and pepper to taste
• 2 TB shredded cheese or a couple slices (I used Swiss)
1. Cook veggies in oil over medium-high heat until tender.
2. Toss with teriyaki sauce and season with salt and pepper.
3. Place pita on foil lined baking sheet and top with veggies.
4. Sprinkle with cheese and broil on high for 3-5 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned.